Monday 29 December 2014

Geographic separation of populations of a species can result in the accumulation of difference in the gene pools. The importance of geographic isolation in the formation of new species

If you split a population in two and put one of them in different conditions with no interbreeding, then over a long time the two groups would have such different gene pools that they would no longer be able to breed to create fertile offspring.

This is because there would be different mutations and selection pressures and so different alleles would be selected due to differential reproductive success causing a change in allele frequency.

This happens naturally in nature as populations become geographically separated, meaning there is something in the way of groups of a species breeding with each other e.g. a river.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah,
    I have been using your blog as support, guidance and revision notes because I am home schooled. To be honest I find this bolt very good, clear and informative. I can only hope you will continue to post while at university - I suppose you are going to study something concerning biology- me too. I am sure other students would be pleased to find university revision notes and support even if it only is concerning biology; especially looking at the number of visits you have! :) Thanks for sharing with us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiyya Audrey, thank you so much for your comment, it means a lot that you took the time to thank me. I'm really glad you're finding it helpful! I am hoping to study psychology, but that is a pretty good idea to continue posting and I guess there will be quite a few overlaps with biology in terms of neuroscience and stuff, so I hope I continue to be helpful haha!

      Delete